For those who wish to bring domestic animals into the country the following are required


      a) A Certificate of Origin giving the health record of the pet.

      b) A 'Certificate of Health', issued not more than 15 days before the animal's entry into the country, stating that the animal is in good health and that it has been vaccinated against rabies.

      Note: If you have an official certificate, you may bring one cat, one- bird, one dog and 10 aquarium fish into the country.



General: Those who wish to enter the country with their vans,- minibuses, automobiles, station wagons, bicycles, motorcycles, motorbikes, sidecars, buses, motor coaches, trailers, caravans or other transport vehicles, will have to provide the following documentation:


      1. Passport.
      2. International driving license.
      3. Car license (document where all details related to the car and the owner's name are registered). If it is somebody else's vehicle a power of attorney should be provided.
      4. International green card (Insurance card). The TR sign should be visible.
      5. Transit book "Carnet de passage" (for those who want to proceed to the Middle East).


Period : The vehicle can be brought into Turkey for up to 6 Months. The owner should declare on the opposite form, the date of departure at the border gate and should absolutely leave the country at the date declared. If for any important reason the staying period has to be extended, it is necessary to apply to;


      -The Turkish Touring and Automobile Club (Turkiye Turing ve Otomobil Kurumu) 1.Oto Sanayi Sitesi Yani, 4.Levent, Istanbul, Tel : (212) 282 81 40(7 lines). Fax : (212) 282 80 42, or to


      -The General Directorate of Customs (Gumrukler Genel Md.lugu), Ulus Ankara Tel : (312) 310 38 80, 310 38 18, Fax : (312) 311 13 46, before the end of the period declared.


In Case of Accident: The accident should be reported to the police or gendarme. That report has to be certified by the nearest local authority. The owner should apply to the customs authority with his passport and report. If the vehicle can be repaired, it is necessary to inform the customs authority first and then take the vehicle to a garage. If the vehicle is not repairable and if the owner wishes to leave the country without his vehicle, he has to deliver it to the nearest customs office, and the registration of his vehicle on his passport will be cancelled. (Only after the cancellation can the owner of the vehicle leave the country.)


    Following an accident, you can telephone as toll free:
    -Trafik Polisi (Traffic Police), Tel: 154

    -Jandarma (Gendarma), Tel: 156 (Specially if you out of town)

    For more information, contact the Turkish Touring and Automobile Club


Yachts require a Transit Log and may remain in Turkish waters for up to two years for maintenance or for wintering. There are certain ports licensed by the Ministry of Tourism for the storage of yachts for a period of two to five years. For further information and regulations: Contact the marina concerned. Upon arriving in Turkish waters, yachts should immediately go for control of the ships log to the nearest port of entry which are as follows: Iskenderun, Botas (Adana), Mersin, Tasucu, Anamur, Alanya, Antalya, Kemer, Finike, Kas, Fethiye, Marmaris, Datca, Bodrum, Güllük, Didim, Kusadasi, Cesme, Izmir, Dikili, Ayvalik, Akçay, Canakkale, Bandirma, Tekirdag, Körfez, Istanbul, Zonguldak, Sinop, Samsun, Ordu, Giresun, Trabzon, Rize, Hopa.

For tourist attractions about yachting please check our sailing paradise pages

Port Formalities: All the required information concerning the yacht, yachtsmen, crew members, intended route, passports, customs declarations, health clearance, and any other obligatory matters must be entered in the Transit Log. The Transit Log is to be completed by the captain of a yacht under a foreign flag or by an amateur sailor acting as captain of the vessel. The Transit Log is completed upon first entering a Turkish port and, generally, it is necessary to contact the Harbor Authority before leaving. For information on taxfree fuel, contact the Marina Harbor Office. For further information on sailing in Turkey see the section "Recreation."


Note: If you have a certificate from the Tourism Ministry Yacht Harbor, you may take full petrol at no charge, provided you possess an official marina license.



General: When coming to Turkey, international air routes should be followed. Private planes may stay for up to three months in Turkey with tourist status, but for longer periods permission should be obtained from;


    -The General Directorate of Customs (Gumrfikler Genel Mudurlugu), Ulus Ankara,

     Tel: (312) 310 38 80, 310 38 18, Fax: (312) 311 13 46
The airports of Ankara, Adana, Istanbul, Izmir, Antalya, Trabzon and Dalaman have facilities for private planes. It is also possible to hire planes and helicopters in Turkey.

    For further information, apply to;

    -The Civil Aviation Department of the Ministry of Transport (Ulastirma Bakanligi, Sivil Havacilik Gen. Mud.). Bosna-Hersek Cad., No: 5 - 06338 - Emek, Ankara.

     Tel: (312) 212 67 30, Fax: (312) 212 46 84, Tlx: 44659 Ga-tr.

Pope Benedictus' visit | Asia Minor  |  Int'ly combined tours | 50 Reasons to come | Useful information | Irresistible cuisine

Been there done that | Aparts & villas | The currency | Turkey by regions | Agents Recommend | Sailing paradise | Latest cultural events 2014 -  Privacy policy