Here are the 50 reasons to visit Turkey Ready to say "wow"? Go on then....
1) The famous Trojan Wars took place in Western Turkey, around the site where
the Trojan horse rests today.
2) The first church built by man (St. Peter's Church) is in Antioch (Antakya),
3) The oldest known human settlement is in Catalhoyuk, Turkey (7th Millenium
4) Ephesus and Halicarnasus - two of the most famous places of the ancient world
- are all in Turkey.
5) St. Nicholas, also known as Santa Clause, was born in Demre, on Turkey's
6) Noah's Ark landed on Mount Ararat (Agri Dagi) in Eastern Turkey.
7) The last meal on Noah's Ark, a pudding of sweet and sour taste (asure), is
still served throughout Turkey.
8) Turks introduced coffee to Europe.
9) Turks gave the Dutch their famous tulips.
10) Istanbul is the only city in the world built on two continents.
11) Tradition in Turkey says that a stranger at one's doorstep is considered "God's
guest" for at least three days.
12) Turkey is noted for having one of the three most famous and distinctive
traditional cuisines in the world.
13) The First Ecumenical Council was held in Iznik, Turkey.
14) Writing was first used by people in ancient Anatolia. The first clay tablets
- in the ruins of Assyrian Karum (Merchant Colony - date back to 1950 B.C.).
15) The oldest tin mine was found in Goltepe, 60 miles south of Tarsus.
16) The first Neolithic paintings found on man-made walls are in Catalhoyuk,
17) Anatolia is the birthplace of historic legends, such as Homer (the poet),
King Midas, Heredotus (the father of history), and St. Paul the Apostle.
18) Julius Caesar proclaimed his celebrated words, "Veni, Vidi, Vici (I came, I
saw, I conquered)" in Turkey when he defeated the Pontus, a formidable kingdom
in the Black Sea region of Turkey.
19) Female goddesses dominated the Central Anatolian pantheon for thousands of
years before these supernatural powers were transformed to male gods.
20) The Hittites sold Abraham the cave where he buried his wife Sarah, when the
Israelites came to Palestine.
21) Virgin Mary's house where she spent her last days situated on the top of
Bülbüldag (Ephesus) and it is considered as a holy place for all religions.
22) Seven Churches of Revelation are all in Aegean Region in Turkey.
23) The Siren Rocks are in Foca which Homeros mentiones in history.
24) You can watch the spectacular view of Oludeniz while paragliding from Mt.
Babadag as well.
25) The richest flora is in Turkey and almost every year new plant species are
gained to the world literature.
26) The spa which cures almost all type of illness having the best quality is in
Balcova (Agamemnon) Izmir.
27) You won't be able to have a blue voyage like the one you can have on Aegean
coast in any part of the world.
28) That's why the color "Turquoise" which belongs to Turkish resorts can only
be seen in Aegean and Mediterranean coast in Turkey.
29) There is a lift in Izmir on the street where the famous singer Dario Moreno
lived; it is the unique lift in the world that you pay for being transported
from one region to another of the city.
30) The second biggest covered fun fair of Europe is in Istanbul.
31) Antalya Museum was rewarded specially by European Council to become the best
museum in 1988 in Europe.
32) In Antalya, in the spring time you can both ski & swim.
33) There is a golf club in Belek having international standards.
34) UNESCO declares Pamukkale and Zelve Open Air Museum as world heritages.
35) The millienum stone at Sultanahmet Istanbul was the zero meridian point of
the world once upon a time.
36) Kasikci diamond is the greatest piece of the world and is displayed
37) Sultanahmet, (The Blue Mosque) is the only mosque in the world having six
38) Having 26.5 m width. and 50 m. height, Süleymaniye (the Blue Mosque) is one
of the masterpieces of architecture in the world.
39) Three of the 10 remaining icons of the world and according to the belief of
Orthodox, Jesus Christ's cross which he was crucified are in Hagia Yorghi church.
40) Hereke which is in the world carpeting literature with the quality of the
wool and silk rugs is in Izmit (Kocaeli).
41) Safranbolu houses which are very famous all around the world are 100 and 450
42) Homeland of Iskender Döner (Gyro) which is very famous all around the world
43) Turkish Raki (Lion's Milk) and finest Turkish wine is served at all the
44) Iznik tiles is one of the most valuable collections antique markets.
45) The philosopher Aristotales lived in Assos for three years.
46) Lydia which is one of the greatest civilization lived in Anatolia has still
got some remainings around Salihli (Sardis) and it's the first civilization
which coined money.
47) Dionysos Temple which is the symbol of antic era was built in Teos.
48) Virgin Mary's House is in Ephesus and it is visited by Pope the 6th Paul and
Pope Jean Paul as well.
49) The world's greatest amphora and glass collection is in Bodrum Museum in
50) The home of Doctor Fish is
in Sivas, Turkey. Over the years we have been serving thousands and thousands of
psoriasis and eczema sufferers in Kangal town - Sivas.
This is for us: Deren Koray Tourism (D&K) is the only firm serves homestay
programs both in Turkey and abroad.
Hard to believe? Come to "The Cradle of Civilization" and see !
We are anxious to show 'em all....